The Business Foundations Growth Managers Program focuses on the key skills required to manage all aspects of small businesses. Managers align and coordinate the strategic goals of a small business to its daily operations. This requires a vast toolbox of complex skills that managers in large corporations, managing a single department may not necessarily need to possess. Small business managers must be good at decision making, communicating the direction and priorities of the business and be a team leader who is able to manage people, projects, and resources.
Small business managers are required to work closely with the business owner, understand the strategic goals of the business and to organise resources to achieve these goals. With this close link between owner and manager, strategy and operational goals are crucial for a small business to achieve sustainable growth.
How Growth Manager works
The program works alongside and complements the Growth Owner program to enable managers to build an understanding and skills base to support the business owner and develop an understanding of the strategic direction of the business and how to operationally implement this on a day to day basis.
Each session has a clear action plan and outcome that managers can take away and implement immediately in the business.
The program includes guest speakers, including industry leaders and program alumni to share their knowledge and talk about their management stories.
Induction to Program and Mentoring
Understanding the strategic direction of your business
Understand the business strategy of your business for the next 1, 3 and 5 years
Understand the habits and thinking of successful managers in small businesses
- Role confidence
- People confidence
- The art of delegation
- Time management
- Negotiation skills and working towards win/win solutions
Understanding emotional intelligence and leadership
Outcome of the days learning:
To have a clear understanding of the objectives and outcomes of the program and mentoring.
To come away with a tool kit that develops your confidence in your ability to manage.
To understand that the relationship between understanding yourself, your staff and your customer is the key to driving strategic success and growth.
Bringing People with You on the Growth Journey
Creating a platform for success
- Aligning strategies with the goals of the organisation
- Involvement and empowerment of key stakeholders in the change process
- Communicate your business strategy and plan to your people
- Dealing with resistance to change – rapidly removing people obstacles to growth
- Monitoring and reviewing effectiveness of change and change strategies
- Inspire your people to a clear vision – employee motivation
- Infuse purpose in your business so every team member understands a clear vision and mission and is working towards common business goals
- Effectively manage individuals and teams, projects and targets
- Empower your team to be resourceful and self manage – team building
- Drive teams to perform and have a World class culture mindset
Come away with a clear road map of the areas your business needs to focus on to achieve and manage scale up.
Understand who your key stakeholders are, how to communicate your plans for change to them and how to get them on board with the vision.
How to motivate and create a culture and mindset in your team to achieve the strategic vision. Capture and communicate the value and story of the business to your staff and customers.
Improving Business Finance
What is financial management
- Financial Statements – Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cashflow
- Key Performance Indicators
- Cashflow management
- Cash vs profit
- Cashflow drivers
- Cashflow planning
- How to improve cashflow – inventory, debtors, creditors, working capital
You will understand the fundamentals of good financial management and come away with a greater understanding of financial management and financial statements, you will be able to identify opportunities to improve profitability and identify unprofitable areas of the business.
Sales & Marketing FUNDAMENTALS
Know your Market and Customer
- The concept of market segmentation, demographics, phychographics and niche markets
- How to create a simple customer profile
- How to use customer and competition profiles to calculate and analyse market potential
- Product fit
- Who is the customer, industry problem and the solution?
The Marketing Fundamentals
- Product – what are you selling? How is it different to what is currently on the market and how does it solve/ fill a gap?
- Markets– are there specific markets that the product is more suited to? Where will the product be sold? Sales channels.
- Price – what is the pricing strategy? High volume/ low price? Premium sales/ high price?
- Purpose of marketing – message, differentiate features, provide information, retain customers, stimulate demand, etc.
- Sales leads – how to achieve with successful messaging and marketing
- Attract the ideal customer and create a buying mindset
- Increase conversations in a ‘non-salesy’ manner
- Sales talk – how to overcome objections and prevent them from coming up again
- Creating referrals to create a steady flow of customers
- Customer service
- Goodwill and reputation
- Risk of customers
- Negotiation skills
- How to sell products
- How to sell services
Market research is one of the most useful tools that a small business can use to understand customers and maximise the potential for profit and growth. You will gain an understanding of why you should do market research, how to do market research and how to implement the research into your marketing and sales strategy so that you leverage growth strategies.
A marketing plan looks at market conditions, your position within a market, and how you will reach and persuade an audience, a sales plan focuses on customers.
You will come away with the ability to create a sales plan that details your customers' expectations and buying trends. You will learn how to set sales KPIs for your teams and how you will measure the success of your efforts, not just in terms of an increase in total sales, but also, for example, through an increased conversion rate of calls and visits to sales.
Brand Strategy & Business Personality
- What is your value proposition?
- Understanding the basic product positioning
- Importance of the marketing mix
- Product life cycle and how it affects marketing decisions
- Objective of marketing – for example improve sales/ profit or performance, launch new product, maintain or improve market share, increase awareness of product or service and test a product or service
- Where will the growth come from/ how will the marketing activity drive growth?
Business to Business (B2B) Marketing
- Understand common promotional tools and selecting the most effective mix for your business
- Predictable marketing funnel
- Methods of direct selling, customer service and customer management
- Use of partnerships to massively increase your reach
- Referral strategies to create steady flow of customers
Business to Consumer (B2C) Marketing – Digital Marketing Strategies
- Basic issues involved in website design
- Pros and cons of building or buying a site
- High converting landing pages that generate leads
- Use of video on web page and social media to increase your reach and connect with consumers
- Create compelling on-line content
- How do e-commerce and social media affect your business plan and costs
- Growing an on-line community
- Robust social media marketing strategy that creates high quality leads and more sales
- Staff training – do your staff need training to achieve your marketing strategy?
- How to manage your work/ life balance in an ‘always on, always connected‘ world
- Importance of on-line security plan – cybersecurity
Understand how a strategic marketing plan maps to sales targets and overall business goals.
Articulate and communicate a clear value proposition.
Understand the marketing tools that are most appropriate for your customers, your products and services and to drive growth.
Command and Control Structures
- Develop Business Processes to ensure effective delegation and management of processes and procedures – management systems, operating systems (Policies, Procedures, Forms, Inductions, Safety Management Systems, IT Infrastructure).
- Discover the latest technology that can be integrated into your business - making processes more seamless and enabling you to work anywhere in the world.
Developing business systems enables your business to create consistency, organizational knowledge, quality and value.
You will go away with an understanding of how to create business systems to use resources more efficiently and improve financial performance, improve risk management and protection of people and the environment, and increase capability to deliver consistent and improved services and products, thereby increasing value to customers and all other stakeholders.
Human Resource Management
- Recruitment – right person for the right job
- Having those difficult conversations - performance management
- Training/ Staff Development
- Staff retention
- Off Boarding
Effective management of your staff is key to building and growing a successful business. Learn how to induct people into your business so they start with the right cultural values, learn how to have those difficult conversations around poor performance and how to reward achievement and good performance. Learn how to invest and train your biggest asset – your people.
While you Look after the business, Who looks after you?
Coping with pressure/ stress and uncertainty?
Maintaining well being and mental health for your staff
- Warning signs
- Processes for dealing with problems
- Where and how to get help
Participants present their Lessons Learnt in Program
Graduation and Dinner
Review & Celebration
Programs start in March 2018.
Register your interest today
Our next course starts March 2018. Contact us now for more information.